United States

Willie Mitchell

Willie Mitchell

(1928 – 2010)

• You gave me a lot of pleasure. Thank you.
    Given by Anonymous
United States

Willie Mitchell

Willie Mitchell
(1928 – 2010)

In memory of

Willie Mitchell

(1928 – 2010)
About Willie
This is a memorial to Willie Mitchell who was an American soul, R&B, rock and roll, pop and funk music producer and arranger who ran Royal Recording in Memphis, Tennessee. He was best known for his Hi Records label of the 1970s, which released albums by a large stable of popular Memphis soul artists, including Mitchell himself, Al Green, Syl Johnson and Ann Peebles.
Born and raised in Ashland, Mississippi, Mitchell moved to Memphis when he was in high school. He attended Rust College.
At the age of eight, he began to play the trumpet. While in high school, he was a featured player in popular local big bands. He later formed his own combo, which from time to time included musicians such as trumpeter Booker
Continued...
About Willie
Little, saxophonists Charles Lloyd, and George Coleman, and pianist Phineas Newborn, Jr.
Mitchell landed a job with the Home of the Blues record label as a producer, then left to join Hi Records as both a recording artist and a producer.
Known at the recording studio as "Papa Willie", Mitchell earned his nickname by taking over the reins of Hi Records in 1970 and guiding it through its most successful period. Mitchell's productions have been much noted for featuring a hard-hitting kick drum sound (usually played by pioneering Memphis drummer Al Jackson, Jr. of Booker T. and the MG's).
A trumpeter and bandleader in his own right, Mitchell released a number of popular singles for Hi Records as an artist
Continued overleaf...
About Willie
in the 1960s, including "Soul Serenade."
He and Al Green revived their successful recording partnership in 2003 when Green recorded I Can't Stop, his first collaboration with Mitchell since 1985's He is the Light. Their 2005 follow-up project was Everything's OK.
Mitchell passed away in Memphis on the 5th January 2010. This is a tribute dedicated to Willie Mitchell. May he rest in peace.
Please write something below
(You can delete your comment at any time and edit it for 15 minutes after submission)
1
Kindly given by
Anonymous
on 4th Jul 2015
They wrote:
You gave me a lot of pleasure. Thank you.
Gold tribute.

Please log in to upload galleries

Willie Mitchell - tribute extract

Willie Mitchell

At the age of eight, he began to play the trumpet. While in high school, he was a featured player in popular local big bands. He later formed his own combo, which from time to time included musicians such as trumpeter Booker...

The tribute dedicated to Willie Mitchell has yet to be contributed to.
X
X
X
X
(You can edit your entry for 15 minutes after submission and can delete your entry at any time)
Rest in peace Willie
I first met Willie at ****
My sincere condolences to all friends and family of Willie
My fondest memory of Willie was ****
Willie used to really enjoy ****
What I will miss the most about Willie is ****
Willie inspired me to ****
Willie changed my life by ****
If I had to sum up what Willie meant to me it would be ****
X