Australia

Phillip Law

Phillip Law

(1912 – 2010)

• Light a candle
  • Place a gift
Australia

Phillip Law

Phillip Law
(1912 – 2010)

In memory of

Phillip Law

(1912 – 2010)
About Phillip
This is a tribute to Dr. Phillip Law. Phillip Garth Law AC, CBE was an Australian scientist and explorer who served as director of ANARE from 1949 to 1966.
Law was born in Tallangatta, Victoria. After attending Hamilton High School, he taught in secondary schools, including Melbourne High School where he taught physics and boxing, while studying part time at the University of Melbourne, earning an MSc in 1941. He lectured in physics at Melbourne University from 1943 to 1948.
He spent the first of many summers in Antarctica in 1947-8 as a senior research officer on the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE). He soon became director due to his strong belief in the value of management and
Continued...
About Phillip
educational techniques that ensured that each individual had more than one role. During his directorship, he established bases in Mawson, Davis and Casey, and led expeditions that explored more than 3,000 miles (4,800 km) of coastline and some 800,000 square miles (2,100,000 km2) of territory.
After retiring from the directorship, he chaired the Australian National Committee on Antarctic Research from 1966 to 1980.
Law's wife, Nel, a secondary school teacher, professional artist and writer, was the first Australian woman to visit Antarctica. Nel passed away in 1990.
He attended the launch of the Fourth International Polar Year on Thursday the 1st March 2007 in the hall of the Royal Society of Victoria
Continued overleaf...
About Phillip
in Melbourne.
Phillip Law passed away on the 28th February 2010. This is a memorial dedicated to his achievements and his life. May he rest in peace.
Please write something below
(You can delete your comment at any time and edit it for 15 minutes after submission)
1
Gold tribute.

Please log in to upload galleries

Phillip Law - tribute extract

Phillip Law

He spent the first of many summers in Antarctica in 1947-8 as a senior research officer on the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE). He soon became director due to his strong belief in the value of management and...

The tribute dedicated to Phillip Law has yet to be contributed to.
X
X
X
X
(You can edit your entry for 15 minutes after submission and can delete your entry at any time)
Rest in peace Phillip
I first met Phillip at ****
My sincere condolences to all friends and family of Phillip
My fondest memory of Phillip was ****
Phillip used to really enjoy ****
What I will miss the most about Phillip is ****
Phillip inspired me to ****
Phillip changed my life by ****
If I had to sum up what Phillip meant to me it would be ****
X