United States

Freddie Gruber

Freddie Gruber

(1927 – 2011)

• Light a candle
  • Place a gift
United States

Freddie Gruber

Freddie Gruber
(1927 – 2011)

In memory of

Freddie Gruber

(1927 – 2011)
Proudly supporting
About Freddie
This is an online tribute to Freddie Gruber who was a jazz drummer and teacher to a number of professional drummers.
Freddie Gruber grew up in the nascent New York be-bop scene, and played with Charlie Parker, among many others. Making fast friends with his roommate, fellow drummer Buddy Rich, he observed Rich's "style, technique, and guts" over a long period and eventually based most of his teaching method on what he assimilated.
Training students throughout his career, Freddie Gruber's student list is long and varied. It includes such drum luminaries as Frank Zappa's Vinnie Colaiuta, Neil Peart of Rush, Steve Smith of Journey, former Chick Corea drummer Dave Weckl. Other drummers benefiting from Freddie
Continued...
About Freddie
Gruber's teaching, and conceptual prowess include session drummers Ian Wallace, Mike Baird, John Guerin, Nick Vincent, Paul Goldberg, John Mehler of Love Song, Ambrosia drummer Burleigh Drummond, and John "Vatos" Hernandez of Oingo Boingo, Michael Dubin, drummer/composer Peter Thoegersen, Royal Crown Revue's Daniel Glass, and Bruce Becker of the David Becker Tribune among many others.
On Saturday January 15th, 2011 (at "The NAMM Show" in Aneheim CA.), 83 year old Freddie Gruber was honored by Zildjian cymbals. The two daughters of the late Armand Zildjian, presented Freddie with a beautiful award for educational excellence throughout his lifetime. The large framed award featured a classic photo of the musicians
Continued overleaf...
About Freddie
PaPa Jo Jones, with Freddie Gruber and Buddy Rich. Under the photo was a plaque, and also a cymbal that was signed by the two daughters.
Freddie Gruber died on the 11th October 2011. This is an online memorial dedicated to his life and his music. May he rest in peace.
Remembrance Messages
On 14th Nov 2011
Anon ymous
wrote:
Best.
Please write something below
(You can delete your comment at any time and edit it for 15 minutes after submission)
Gold tribute.

Please log in to upload galleries

Freddie Gruber - tribute extract

Freddie Gruber

Training students throughout his career, Freddie Gruber's student list is long and varied. It includes such drum luminaries as Frank Zappa's Vinnie Colaiuta, Neil Peart of Rush, Steve Smith of Journey, former Chick Corea drummer Dave Weckl. Other drummers benefiting from Freddie...

Freddie Gruber is remembered by...
Anon ymous
X
X
X
X
(You can edit your entry for 15 minutes after submission and can delete your entry at any time)
Rest in peace Freddie
I first met Freddie at ****
My sincere condolences to all friends and family of Freddie
My fondest memory of Freddie was ****
Freddie used to really enjoy ****
What I will miss the most about Freddie is ****
Freddie inspired me to ****
Freddie changed my life by ****
If I had to sum up what Freddie meant to me it would be ****
X