United States

Mel Farr

Mel Farr

(1944 – 2015)

• Light a candle
  • Place a gift
United States

Mel Farr

Mel Farr
(1944 – 2015)

In memory of

Mel Farr

(1944 – 2015)
About Mel
This is an online tribute dedicated to Mel Farr who was born in Beaumont, Texas, brother of defensive back Miller Farr. He graduated from Hebert High School in 1963, where he lettered in football, basketball, baseball, and track. He was named All-State in football and track and All-District in basketball. Farr received a scholarship to UCLA, where he became one of the all-time greats of college football. Although a broken wrist cut short his sophomore season, he was named All-American his two remaining seasons. He made 6 touchdowns his junior year, on carries ranging from 21 to 58 yards. His combined yardage gained his junior and senior years was 1,630 yards. His best collegiate performance was against California
Continued...
About Mel
in 1965: during that game he had 12 carries for 155 yards and touchdowns from 45 and 21 yards, and he caught three passes for 60 yards. The tailback was consensus All-America, and in 1988 he was inducted into the UCLA Sports Hall of Fame.
Mel Farr was the number-one draft pick of the Detroit Lions in 1967. After rushing for 860 yards with a 4.2 yard per carry average and leading the Lions' receivers with 39 receptions for 317 yards and 6 touchdowns, Farr was named not only NFL Rookie of the Year, but Most Valuable Offensive Player. Although he missed half of the 1968 season with knee surgery, Farr was again named Most Valuable Offensive Player and was named to the Pro-Bowl that year. The following year he
Continued overleaf...
About Mel
was named Lions Co-Captain, roaring back from surgery with his best performance ever in a game against the Vikings. On November 12, 1969, Farr racked up 197 yards rushing and two touchdowns although the game ended in a frustrating 14-14 tie. Farr was again named to the Pro-Bowl in 1971 and ranks among the great all-time Lions scorers with 36 career touchdowns. He played for the Lions through the 1973 season (when he became teammates with his brother, Miller).
He retired at the end of that season with extensive injuries. Farr, who completed his college degree and was schooled in the Ford dealer development program during his off seasons from the Lions, now owns Mel Farr Automotive Group and Mel Farr Enterprises
Continued...
About Mel
in Michigan. A respected businessman and civic leader, Farr was honored for Outstanding Achievements in Business by President Carter in 1978. He was also appointed by the NFL Commissioner in 1990 to the NFL Players Advisory Board, on which he served for two years.
Mel Farr passed away on the 3rd August 2015. This online memorial has been created to remember his life.
May he rest in peace.
Please write something below
(You can delete your comment at any time and edit it for 15 minutes after submission)
1
Bronze tribute.

Please log in to upload galleries

Mel Farr - tribute extract

Mel Farr

This is an online tribute dedicated to Mel Farr who was born in Beaumont, Texas, brother of defensive back Miller Farr. He graduated from Hebert High School in 1963, where he lettered in football, basketball, baseball, and track. He was named All-State in football and track and All-District in basketball. Farr received a scholarship to UCLA, where he became one of the all-time greats of college football. Although a broken wrist cut short his sophomore season, he was named All-American his two remaining seasons. He made 6 touchdowns his junior year, on carries ranging from 21 to 58 yards. His combined yardage gained his junior and senior years was 1,630 yards. His best collegiate performance was against California...

The tribute dedicated to Mel Farr has yet to be contributed to.
X
X
X
X
(You can edit your entry for 15 minutes after submission and can delete your entry at any time)
Rest in peace Mel
I first met Mel at ****
My sincere condolences to all friends and family of Mel
My fondest memory of Mel was ****
Mel used to really enjoy ****
What I will miss the most about Mel is ****
Mel inspired me to ****
Mel changed my life by ****
If I had to sum up what Mel meant to me it would be ****
X